I’m a civil servant in the policy profession with a keen interest and background in energy. I was awarded the BP scholarship and have an MA Energy (1:1) and BA Politics (2:1).
- Policy Advisor (October 2016 – Present)
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Working on energy codes (gas and electricity), and the government’s wholesale electricity market policy. Also was briefly pulled into the retail energy team, where we delivered the draft price cap bill in just five days.
- Assistant Policy Manager (June 2015 – October 2016, 1 year 5 months)
Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem)
I developed new policy on often technical areas, scrutinised new regulations, and used my project management skills to help deliver the administration of a renewable support scheme (the Non-Domestic RHI). I also wrote technical guidance, communicated with scheme participants and industry where special advice was needed, and helped plan/deliver communications.
- Editor-in-Chief (November 2014 – July 2015, 9 months)
Energy Politics in Eurasia Journal (ENERPO)
We built a website, rebranded, changed the publishing structure, and continued to release high quality research and analysis on the energy landscape. I was voted into this position due to my background in editing and various soft skills.
- Researcher (Summer 2014)
Evans Woolfe Media Limited (EWM)
Wrote reports, worked on locations for filming, found hard-to-find interviewees and convinced them to take part in the media project I was working on. Outside of this job, I was exposed to media production through a number of different work placements, including the BBC newsroom.
- Section Editor (December 2012 – July 2014, 1 year 4 months)
Queen’s Political Review (QPR)
An academic political journal, I curated the ‘Europe & International’ section and acted in the journal executive. Was part of the ‘founding’ group.
- Course Representative (November 2011 – September 2013, 1 year 11 months)
Queen’s University Belfast (QUB)
Elected to represent students from my faculty at the Staff Student Consultative Committee. I joined the Careers, Employability, and Skills project committee.
- Intern (Summer 2010)
Westminster City Council
Organised events, provided member services such as research documents/data, and made phone calls on behalf of the council. Won employee of the month for the 18th floor, and personally ran the council’s daily news bulletin for around 3,400 staff.
- Queen’s University Belfast – BA Politics – High 2:1/3.7 GPA equivalent
- European University at St. Petersburg – MA Energy – 1:1/4.0 GPA equivalent
- European Computer Driving License – Advanced
- Energy industry and public policy/regulation specific training from Ofgem/DECC/BEIS.
- BP scholarship
- Best society
- Organised a guest lecture from a moderate candidate for the Iranian presidential election
- Organised a panel discussion at Stormont Parliament buildings for Northern Irish politicians
- Helped organise an EU-Russia dialogue in St. Petersburg
- Managed the logistics of a Sotheby’s educational institute masters programme for postgraduate students of art.
- Currently organising a cross-department government conference on potential applications of Blockchain in energy.