I’m a civil servant in the policy profession with a keen interest and background in energy. I was awarded the BP scholarship and have an MA Energy (1:1) and BA Politics (2:1).
- Policy Advisor (October 2016 – Present)
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Working on energy codes (gas and electricity), and the government’s wholesale electricity market policy.
- Assistant Policy Manager (June 2015 – October 2016, 1 year 5 months)
Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem)
I developed new policy on often technical areas, scrutinised new regulations, and used my project management skills to help deliver the administration of a renewable support scheme (the Non-Domestic RHI). I also wrote technical guidance, communicated with scheme participants and industry where special advice was needed, and helped plan/deliver communications.
- Editor-in-Chief (November 2014 – July 2015, 9 months)
Energy Politics in Eurasia Journal (ENERPO)
We built a website, rebranded, changed the publishing structure, and continued to release high quality research and analysis on the energy landscape. I was voted into this position due to my background in editing and various soft skills.
- Researcher (Summer 2014)
Evans Woolfe Media Limited (EWM)
Wrote reports, worked on locations for filming, found hard-to-find interviewees and convinced them to take part in the media project I was working on. Outside of this job, I was exposed to media production through a number of different work placements, including the BBC newsroom.
- Section Editor (December 2012 – July 2014, 1 year 4 months)
Queen’s Political Review (QPR)
An academic political journal, I curated the ‘Europe & International’ section and acted in the journal executive. Was part of the ‘founding’ group.
- Course Representative (November 2011 – September 2013, 1 year 11 months)
Queen’s University Belfast (QUB)
Elected to represent students from my faculty at the Staff Student Consultative Committee. I joined the Careers, Employability, and Skills project committee.
- Intern (Summer 2010)
Westminster City Council
Organised events, provided member services such as research documents/data, and made phone calls on behalf of the council. Won employee of the month for the 18th floor, and personally ran the council’s daily news bulletin for around 3,400 staff.
- Queen’s University Belfast – BA Politics – High 2:1/3.7 GPA equivalent
- European University at St. Petersburg – MA Energy – 1:1/4.0 GPA equivalent
- European Computer Driving License – Advanced
- Energy industry and public policy/regulation specific training from Ofgem/DECC/BEIS.
- BP scholarship
- Best society
- Organised a guest lecture from a moderate candidate for the Iranian presidential election
- Organised a panel discussion at Stormont Parliament buildings for Northern Irish politicians
- Helped organise an EU-Russia dialogue in St. Petersburg
- Managed the logistics of a Sotheby’s educational institute masters programme for postgraduate students of art.